Approach & Achievement
The aims of Physical Education at Millfield Preparatory are:
- To promote physical development and confidence and the resultant self-esteem
- To provide individual programmes to help all pupils realise their full potential, including outstanding athletes and pupils with special needs
- To ensure pupils understand the short and long-term effects of exercise on the body systems, and to make pupils aware of the various methods of improving fitness, preparing for activities and recovering afterwards
- To help pupils to value safety codes, minimise risk, avoid danger and respond appropriately, when necessary, to emergency situations
- To teach pupils to know about and value the benefits of participation in physical activity and to develop in them a positive, committed, enthusiastic, hard-working approach which will help them derive maximum enjoyment and satisfaction from successful endeavour both at school and throughout life
- To develop an appreciation of skillful and creative performances across the areas of activity
- To develop problem-solving skills
- To develop interpersonal skills and qualities such as integrity, fairness, self-discipline and a concern for quality as well as success, and to ensure pupils in teams treat opponents, fellow team members and referees with respect.
While Millfield Preparatory has earned an excellent reputation for high standards in Physical Education, gained mainly through the success of our teams in County, Regional and National events, and outstanding individual performances, our competitive achievements are only part of the picture. The major part of our programme is concerned with teaching pupils a broad, balanced syllabus which is differentiated to meet the needs of individual pupils. We study all parts of the National Curriculum but go far beyond its basic requirements in terms of range of sports and activities offered, curriculum time allotted, and standards expected.
The Physical Education Programme
Each week all year groups spend at least three and a half hours on curriculum physical education which is taught in mixed gender groups. The games programme is delivered to both boys and girls separately.
The curriculum over the years embraces gymnastics, tennis, dance, swimming, athletics, cricket (boys), rounders (girls), rugby (boys), netball (girls), hockey and football (boys), trampolining, health related fitness, water-polo and basketball.
Outstanding Facilities and Specialist Staff
On the Millfield Preparatory campus we have the following facilities:
- 25 metre Indoor Swimming Pool
- 2 Full size Sports Halls
- 4 Squash courts
- Astro Hockey pitch
- 6 Hard Outdoor Tennis Courts
- 3 Hard Netball Courts
- Extensive Games Fields
- 9 Hole Golf Course
We also have access to the 50 Metre Swimming Pool, Tartan Athletics Track and three Olympic Standard Water based Astro Hockey Pitches at the main Millfield School.
The P.E Programme is staffed by five full time specialist teachers thirty five other staff, all P.E trained help deliver the games programme. The facilities and standards of coaching are the best in the country.